James H. Neel, M.D., FACS, specializes in cardiovascular and thoracic (CVT) surgery at Oklahoma Heart Institute. He is fluent in speaking Spanish. His professional areas of interests include adult cardiac surgery (minimally invasive heart valve repair and replacement, coronary artery bypass, arrhythmia procedures, etc.), adult thoracic surgery (open, minimally invasive and robotic procedures for lung cancer, benign tumors and infection).
Dr. Neel said he has always enjoyed the intellectual challenges that medicine offers, but more so the ability to use his education to improve the lives of others around him. “It is a special calling and a truly rewarding service in the care of others,” he said.
He chose CVT surgery as his practice of choice because he likes the intricacy and attention to the fine details that are required in this practice. “There is zero room for errors and that demands a high level of focus and attention,” he added.
Dr. Neel said, “My routine for building trust in patients relies on some sage advice my father once gave me. He told me to look people in the eyes when you speak, give a firm handshake and always tell the truth.”
When it comes to care, patients can expect upfront and precise responses. He said, “I am about as blunt a person as they will likely have ever met. I get to the point directly without any sugar coating,” he said.
Dr. Neel likes to remind patients that, “Once you reach the age of 60, you are in the phase of life I call ‘use it or lose it’. Get out there and exercise and enjoy life.”
Dr. Neel’s education and career experience include:
• Fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Louisville, 2014
• Residency in general surgery at the Louisiana State University-Shreveport, 2012
• Internship in general surgery at the University of Oklahoma (OU) College of Medicine in Tulsa, 2008
• Medical degree at the University of Oklahoma (OU) College of Medicine, 2007
• Surgical technology certification at Tulsa Technology Center, 2001
• Bachelor’s degree in psychology at Trinity University in Texas, 1998
Dr. Neel’s awards and major accomplishments include:
• JCTSE Top Gun award finalist at University of Louisville Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2013
• Senior Resident Teaching award-Louisiana State University Health Science Center Department of Surgery, 2012
• Crimson Apple award winner for Outstanding Resident Teaching award, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, 2008
Outside of work, Dr. Neel enjoys hunting, fishing, weightlifting and spending time with his wife and children.
He welcomes new patients and accepts most insurance plans at the following location:
Oklahoma Heart Institute
1265 S. Utica Ave., suite 105
Tulsa, OK 74104
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 918-749-6400. To send a fax, dial 918-592-1021.